Senior Homestead Exemption (SHE)
Following the Illinois Property Tax Code, this exemption lowers the equalized assessed value of the property by $8,000 and may be claimed in addition to the General Homestead Exemption. These changes will be reflected on the 2023 tax bill payable in 2024.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Own and live in the property as their principal residence
- Have reached age 65 during the tax year.
All applications must be submitted online through the Smartfile E-Filing Portal. You can receive assistance by phone or in person by calling the Cuba Township Assessor’s Office at 847-381-1120. To start the application process:
To start the application process:
- Go to the Chief County Assessment Office Smart E-Filing Portal at assessor.lakecountyil.gov
- Log in to your account, create a new account, or log in as a guest
- Click “Available Filings”
- EX01: Homestead Exemption Application (First time applications only)
- Click “Begin Filing” and follow the instructions
Properties Held in Trust
If your property is held in a trust, we must verify you are a beneficiary of the trust. The exemptions cannot be applied without this verification. Please include a copy of the pages of the actual trust agreement that state the applicant is a beneficiary. This can usually be found on the first few pages of the trust document. If you have questions, call us directly at 847-381-1120.